Chris's Blog: Our White Jesus

Monday, October 10, 2005

Our White Jesus

Ok first let me start out by saying I do believe in God and I do believe in Jesus, some might call that a Christian and yes I would agree. But when was it decided that Jesus needed to be a pasty white guy, with blue eyes, nicely groomed sandy brown hair and a very well kept beard. There is a very GOOD chance that Jesus was dark skinned, had curly black hair, scraggly beard and his clothes were probably rarely clean. My question is why did we change him to look so white. Do you think that if churches had a picture of a dark skinned black haired Jesus that white people could relate? Yes, I am implying that at some point in time the white church decided that Jesus should be white, because white people will like him more. Jesus was from the Middle East, that is the truth. Why do I have to live in a world of make believe? I guess we really are just sheople, being led by whomever feels they need to lead.

I totally wish I was a fly on the wall when our American culture decided to turn Jesus white. Lets pretend I was:

Church guy 1: "Sir, we have a problem, our church attendance numbers are way down."
Church guy 2: "Hmmmm, yah I have noticed that too. I think people are having a problem with this Jesus guy, they just can't relate to you know... him being a foreigner."

Church guy 1: "Yah, I agree."
Church guy 2: "What do you think would happen if we whiten him up a bit?"

Church guy 1: "A white Jesus, huh, that just might work..."

And the rest is, shall we say, history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home