Chris's Blog: Local Music Support is a good thing

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Local Music Support is a good thing

I know that earlier in a blog post I swore off the New Music Festival, well guess what, we are now one of the 230+ acts playing this weekend. To be honest I don't really care that we are playing the festival. I am glad that we get in FREE! And I am always glad to play for fans, but I could care less about what the festival name is or who is putting it on. No one will get a big record deal from this or become an overnight sensation, but there will be a good time had by many local music fans.

Lately I have been posting other bands to see around Dallas, see I have a theory and that theory is people like more than just one style of music and one band, I know I do. So I decided, hell there are tons of bands out there busting there butts writing and performing every weekend while holding down day jobs just like us and I like a lot of those bands. I figure I could just feed you that information and maybe you will like the bands, maybe you won't, but hopefully you will at least give them a listen. And that is what support is all about. For some reason in Dallas there is no unity among bands, I have been around this scene for 5+ years and have met tons of musicians, but I don't talk to any of them on a regular basis. I stopped going down to Deep Ellum for a while because I was getting tired of being the "Hey whats up" guy, there was nothing geniune about it. Now I just want to go down and have a real conversation with just one or two people or none and just enjoy the music. I saw this band the other night that had 4 cello players and a drummer and they were doing covers of Star Wars and other movie themes and they were GREAT. I saw Liz Williams for the first time the other night and she had a excellent voice, drew me right in.

If you are a fan of the local music scene, get out there this weekend and get a taste of what Dallas and surrounding cities have to offer. Don't just go see the "buzz" bands, go see everybody (I know that is not possible). To be honest if you are a fan of monkeyshyne and there is another band you have been wanting to see when we are playing, go see them, we know you love us, broaden your musical horizons. Oh and if you are worried about getting shot or mugged down in Deep Ellum come find one of us (Chris, Colin or Oz) and we will be more than happy to walk you to your car. See you down there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home