Chris's Blog: How much does a soul cost these days?

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How much does a soul cost these days?

Today I met Ryan Cabrera and I got to watch him perform a couple of his hit songs. The guy seemed cool enough, but I still had a lack of respect for him. I just didn't feel a genuine vibe coming from him. I didn't feel like he had suffered for his music or that he was conveying a deeper meaning in his songs. I just kind of felt like he was a kid that REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to be a teenage girls fantasy and up on stage in front of large crowds that tell him how great he is. This is where I am torn. Would I trade places with Ryan Cabrera? I know I have changed my writing style and changed the things the band does to appeal to more people. I am now starting to see the biggest dilemma in music and "selling out." When I was growing up and didn't know anything about the music business I could spot a band that sold out a million miles away. And now there is such a grey area. Would I sacrifice some of my musical style to be able to play in front of big crowds, be on the radio and make a living playing and writing music, instead of busting my ass sitting behind a computer all day making some fat bastard at the top of the company ladder a lot of money? Yes and No. And that is Chris's dilemma. Part of me wants to just be real and write what comes out of me and know that whether or not I ever make it, I was true to myself. And then part of me says I can make the necessary changes, "sell out" a little and have a better chance of making a living at it. The real truth is neither way guarantees me success to a high level. It should be easy for me to answer, but it just ain't. Do I or don't I? I guess only time will tell. And I hope if you are a fan of my music you will stick me no matter what good or bad decisions I make.

Oh and did I mention that monkeyshyne is now looking for another singer between the ages of 18 to 21, blonde, white male, with bed head hair, a couple of tatoos and a hip dress style. No need to really sing, Oz and I will cover that...just kidding...maybe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home