Chris's Blog: No Respect I tell yah, no respect

Thursday, September 08, 2005

No Respect I tell yah, no respect

Monkeyshyne has gotten a lot of respect over the years. I think my band has earned it. We have played just about every weekend for the last 5 years, we have recorded 4 CDs. We have opened for big name acts like Los Lonely Boys and Fastball. We have written our hearts out and exposed our soul for music. We have changed our sound from a Nickelback/Creed rip off to an acoustic pop/rock sound, something we feel is more geniune, something that is actually our sound. Recently I got a note from the North Texas New Music Festival a festival we have played for the last 3 years. And in this note is stated that we were on "standby". At first I took it as, "well we just suck", but as I have had time to think about it, I think BULLSHIT, but I still think we suck :)

We were told there were over a 1000 entries that came in, and that is awesome. BUT, what about some sort of scene loyalty. We have supported Deep Ellum and these other bands playing the festival for as long as they have been around. There are not to many bands left in Dallas that have been around longer than us. Everytime I want to feel good about music, I get kicked in the teeth by the business part. I MEAN WTF Ashley and Jessica Simpson are selling millions of records and no offense, they suck. Hillary Duff, for coach Christs sake, had the number 1 CD on Billboard for several weeks. What am I not understanding? Sometimes I just want to quit trying to play my music for the world and just go back to playing for myself in my room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home